You have just entered Altea’s old Renaissance quarters.
Altea’s Bastion and Renaissance Area was declared a Cultural Heritage Site (BIC) in 2013.The Bastion conserves its original 1617 structure, with gates giving access to the fortress. The Virgen del Consuelo Church, built between the late 19th and early 20th centuries over the remains of the primitive17th century church, provides character to the ensemble as a whole.
Magnificent buildings from the foundation period, built of the 18th and 19th centuries, have also been conserved.
Calle Salamanca Street: Houses nº1 and nº3 may be of interest in this street. Building nº 5, an inhabited and well conserved house, conserves the local middle-class style of the mid-eighteenth – early nineteenth century practically intact. A Sentry Post has been conserved in the north side of the wall.
The Casa de la Señoria Bastion (lost element): An artillery bastion of great presence which dominated the mouth of the Algar river in the north-east angle of its fortified perimeter. A great square block, it towered over the walls with a surrounding kerb at mid height, which reinforced its fortified aspect. A great hall, with windows to the east,defined the main floor. It was demolished between 1911 and 1915.
(This information is published in the Guia de Altea by J.Miguel del Rey)